Box office hit

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Tuesday 8 May 2012 22:06

I spotted this Box Bug Gonocerus acuteangulatus today on some Brambles right outside my office, only the second time I have seen this in Sussex and the first chance I have had to get a decent shot of one. I carried on with my aquatic invertebrate survey of the lake at Woods Mill today and was rewarded with one new species, the rather grandly named Demetrias imperialis. This a striking little carabid with a strange pattern, I will try and get a photo tomorrow. It's nationally scarce and I netted two around the edge of the lake in the reeds. It's my 3883rd species! There are lots of specimens to go through from today, I did notice a few things I could do in the field like Water Stick Insect and Water Ladybird but most will be microscope jobs. Happy days!

2 Response to "Box office hit"

Ray Hamblett Says:

Reminds me of the Coreus I have on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ray.hamblett1/nature/bugs.html or have i got ID's wrong?
From two sites I have named same species but doubting a bit now.

Graeme Lyons Says:

Your ID is correct. The 'flanges' at the back of the abdomen are much wider in Coreus marginatus and the colour is darker.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network