Wildbrooks

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Thursday 28 July 2011 20:06

Another great day at Amberley with six more vascular plant species I have added to my list. First up though, I found a couple of Wasp Spiders over one of the more peaty ditches. In the same ditch we found Marsh Cinquefoil, Bogbean and Floating Club-rush.
In this chalk stream that passes through the brooks you can see a large patch of Narrow-fruited Watercress. Other plants new to me today were Fan-leaved Water-crowfoot, Short-fruited Willowherb, Opposite-leaved Pondweed (first photo below) and this Almond Willow (bottom two photos below). A big thank you to Frances Abraham for helping me out with some of the more difficult plants. We even spotted the naturalised Juneberry on the way back to the pickup. One more day ditching then back to my chalk-grassland quadrats next week.

1 Response to "Wildbrooks"

Rob Says:

Your Wasp Spider web shows the zig-zag stabilimentum quite clearly. I've often looked at these on the IoW and wondered how it serves the spider. What's your opinion on it Graham?

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network