Scarlet fever

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Monday 11 July 2011 19:43

I've been at Friston today and spotted a few nice moths. The highlight was my first Sussex Scarlet Tiger. I have not seen this since around 1994 in Cornwall (ouch, that's 17 years!). It is turning up in gardens in Brighton now but as I don't currently have a garden (Sussex is my garden!) I haven't seen one until today. There were quite a few Hummingbird Hawkmoths out there too.
I did have one tick, the local Pammene aurana that feeds on Hogweed, it seems both as a larvae and as an adult. If all tortrix moths stuck to simple blocks of colour in childish shapes like this one they would be so much easier to identify! I'm getting a little more used to the Canon G12 now too having found a few functions that are resulting in better shots.

1 Response to "Scarlet fever"

Anonymous Says:

I had a Scarlet Tiger turn in my garden last week and was very impressed by the intensity of the red, and a first for me as well!

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network