The Henfield Herald

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Wednesday 9 February 2011 17:49

I forgot my lunch today and so a trip to Henfield to get a sandwich from Truffles replaced my usual walk around Woods Mill. As I stepped out of the sandwich bar I spotted this Herald on the other side of the road next to a man waiting for the bus. This has got to be one of my favourite moths, I love the bright white dots and stripey legs. My first encounter of these was in caves in the Peak District, lots of them, along with loads of Tissues that I have only ever seen once in Sussex (at light at Mill Hill).

The moth trap is out at Woods Mill tonight for the first time this year, I can't wait! I can only liken moth-trapping to how Christmas morning felt when I was a kid! Of course, I will only be looking at micros and by-catch if I want to see something new at this time of year. Oh, the photo is with the Canon by the way.

2 Response to "The Henfield Herald"

Unknown Says:

Really excellent shot :) Do you ever take people along to see the moth traps? I'd be really interested in having a look sometime.

Graeme Lyons Says:

We do have a number of moth nights, courses and events ran by both the Sussex Wildlife Trust and the Sussex Moth Group. Better to wait a few months before coming along as it's pretty quiet at this time of year and can be disappointing.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network