The Wasp Factory

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Monday 9 May 2011 21:17

I've been helping set up an invertebrate survey at Eridge Rocks today with Alice Parfitt and Mark Telfer. I spotted this Wasp Beetle ovipositing on a birch snag, it made me realise how rarely I have seen longhorn beetles ovipositing. I saw quite a few saproxylic beetles today that I had not seen before including a couple of tiny but distinctive Cis species, several of the nationally scarce Triplax russica running around with the brighter but commoner Triplax aenea and this little round beetle which I have only ever seen dead in traps before, Anisotoma humeralis.
Other species of note included the nationally scarce species Melasis buprestoides and the hoverfly Brachypalpus laphriformis as well as a Grey Birch moth. We found a bee that looked very strange indeed but after some research, I think it was a drone Honey Bee, quite unlike the workers I am used to seeing, quite an impressive looking beast. I finished the day on 3320.

1 Response to "The Wasp Factory"

Mark G. Telfer Says:

Graeme, thought I'd better add a note to say that it wasn't Triplax russica but the even rarer Triplax lacordairei: new to Sussex!
Also, yes it was a drone Honey Bee.
Mark Telfer

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network