Is this a first for Sussex?

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Saturday 14 May 2011 15:42

Today has already been a long day. After a farm survey this morning, I quickly called in at Cowdray to take some shots of the Wood Cricket nymphs. I am fairly confident that's what they are anyway and after a process of elimination, I find it hard to think what else they could be. They are certainly not bush-crickets of any type. There were dozens there crawling around in the leaf litter but they were pretty fast and I didn't get too close with the camera. Can somebody with experience of these little critters confirm the ID please?
I found this Alosterna tabacicolor on Cow Parsley (I rarely see much nectaring on Cow Parsley) and thought I would take the opportunity for a photo. This is the first one I have seen this year.

Finally, I went and met Penny Green at the bridge at Fittleworth to look for Club-tailed Dragonflies. I saw a Brassica Bug which was new to me and also another of the striking bug Corizus hyoscyami. In the distance I spotted a single Ben Rainbow searching for dragonflies on the other side of the river but other than lots of Banded Demoiselles, it was very quiet. Feeling tired and hay-fevery, I headed back and we bumped into Ben again. At that exact moment we saw a Club-tailed Dragonfly just as the sun was going in and only for a few seconds. I must go back and get better views but I was happy with the ID. That leaves me on 3340.

4 Response to "Is this a first for Sussex?"

Ralph Hobbs Says:

Congratulations Graeme - wood cricket it has to be from the pics, and from your description of the numbers present and the leaf litter habitat etc. I am passing this amazing news on to John Paul the Sussex Orthoptera recorder.
Best wishes

Mark G. Telfer Says:

Graeme,
Peter Sutton has commented:
"Yup, it's a Wood Cricket without any doubt".
I'm really looking forward to visiting Cowdray!
Mark

John Patmore Says:

Looks like a wood cricket as there is no other British native orthoptera with a similar appearance (house cricket is nearest).

Plenty across the border in Hampshire so it probably will turn up in West Sussex.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network