Pan's Labyrinth

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Saturday 14 May 2011 15:09

It appears that Blogger deleted this post (and it wouldn't let me on the site yesterday either) so here it is again. This is the view I had looking upwards inside a huge hollow oak tree at Cowdray. I was completely surrounded by red-rot on all sides and as I looked up, there was another large red and black Ampedus about 10 foot up. An amazing experience. 

The first thing I saw as I got out of the truck though was a number of Wood Crickets. I did not realise the significance of this at first as this would be the first records for this Na species in Sussex! I will have to go back and get some photos.

I didn't have a lot of time to look for beetles as we were setting up the traps. What little time I did was very productive though. Saproxylic beetles new for the site included Platypus cylindrus, Cicones variegatus (Na) and a single elytron of Deathwatch Beetle. I also saw the spectacular saproxylic cranefly Ctenophora pectinicornis. A great start to the survey.

3 Response to "Pan's Labyrinth"

Kerry Potter Says:

What a fantastic pic!

Sarah Natterjacktoad Patton Says:

Is this the Elizabeth oak? Cowdray is fab for ancient trees!

Graeme Lyons Says:

Hi Sarah
No, it's a different one. No way near as old and although hollow, it is mostly intact.
Graeme

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network