Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Tuesday 15 March 2011 18:24

I think this is one of the coolest looking beetles, Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle Timarcha goettingensis, look at its feet-like tarsi! Sitting on a bed of Hypnum lacunosum it looks good enough to eat! Mapping again at Ditching today and I found another area of the community CG2aiii but this time dominated by the moss Neckera crispa which is quite an odd looking thing.
Finally, there are some big thick patches of the vibrant green Dicranum bonjeanii in this area too. I think Ditchling Beacon is a great place to learn your chalk-grassland bryophytes.

2 Response to "Lesser Bloody-nosed Beetle"

Mark Schofield Says:

Definitely a great site for chalk bryophytes. I think I can remember finding a rather tasty tuft or two of Rhytidiadelphus triquetrus on a nearby north-facing scarp slope. Love that beetle - are there any others that 'nose-bleed' or pull a similar trick when disturbed?

Graeme Lyons Says:

I only know of the two Timarcha species that do that. Yes, R. triquetrus is everywhere at Ditchling, a lovely plant.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network