Drearily dull moths

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Thursday 17 March 2011 12:29

drab adjective
1. Lacking brightness or interest; drearily dull.
2. Of a light brown colour.

This Lead-coloured Drab got me a bit confused today, lacking the dark marks on the specimen below (taken several years ago also at Woods Mill) I began to wonder if I had finally connected with a Northern Drab (one of my bogey moths) but after a quick call to Colin Pratt (county moth recorder) he convinced me it was an LCD. It actually makes Hypnum cupressiforme (the moss) look pretty exciting!
There were just over 100 moths (50 less than last Thursday). Several Oak Beauties stole the show but were not photographed as they only make the drabs and quakers depressed. There were lots of Twin-spot Quakers too although this one that had hardly any twin-spots caused a brief moment of excitement. So does anyone out there ever catch Northern Drab? In nearly twenty years of mothing (especially spring mothing when I'm at my keenest) I have never seen one. Had to go home from work with a fever today, so no natural history for me but I hope I'll be back on it tomorrow as I have a day off. Got my laptop fixed though!

2 Response to "Drearily dull moths"

Steve Gale Says:

I've trapped Northern Drab at Greatstone, just over the East Sussex boundary in Kent, but have yet to record it in Surrey.

Graeme Lyons Says:

What's your bogey moth then Steve? Mine is probably Lappet!

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network