Mystery paw print under bracket fungus

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Tuesday 31 August 2010 16:37

Whilst photographing this Beefsteak Fungus I noticed it had been bruised on its underside by a mammal's paw. I took a photo and used a coin for scale. It looks like the print slid a little, giving the impression that the animal has a longer paw than it actually has but I can't guarantee this. The obvious culprit is Grey Squirrel, especially when you see where the fungus is located. I can't be sure though, especially as there are Polecats in the area and this was very close to the mystery scat we found on the top of a hanging aerial interception trap last year. However, I am pretty sure it is too small for a Polecat. It could be a smaller mustelid. Another thing to point out is that, due to the location of this print, it is likely that the back portion of the animal's paw was not in contact with the fungus. Any ideas are welcome but my guess is Grey Squirrel.

2 Response to "Mystery paw print under bracket fungus"

Gilly Says:

The impression is very clear, if it was a mustelid I think the fifth toe would have been visible. I would go for squirrel.

Graeme Lyons Says:

Thanks, I am pretty sure it's Grey squirrel too now.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network