You HAVE to see this video of the cutest spider EVER!

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Wednesday 30 August 2017 07:15

Yesterday I co-lead a contingent of around 70 people around Stedham & Iping Commons for the Heathlands Reunited project. Everyone was happy when they got to see a Hornet Robber-fly up close. Bee Wolves are everywhere and I saw FIVE adult Alydus calcaratus. After the group left I wanted to use the time wisely so I had another search for Heath Tiger Beetles. None have been seen this year (they are know to have two year life cycles and this would be expected to be a poor year) but just one adult would have made me relax. There was lots of good habitat and one suitable looking scrape I spotted a solid looking grey-mottled jumping spider...

...I knew it as a female Aelurillus v-insignitus immediately. They are nationally scarce but are known from this site and the scrapes specifically but I am more used to seeing the males in the spring. I have written about them before here. On Jersey earlier this year, it was perhaps THE commonest jumping spider we saw. In Sussex I think it's only here and maybe Ambersham.

So this is the first time I have had the pleasure of photographing one with my new camera and I tried a bit of video too. You HAVE to watch this, I think it's the cutest thing I have ever seen. "She looked at me longingly with those beautiful green eyes and waved coquettishly." You get the idea. I am in love. I think if I get a little tripod I can generate some really good videos with this camera in microscope mode. Problem is it doesn't seem to let you change the focus once you have committed to filming (so you have to move in and out). I was doing so by trying to keep the hairs on her head in focus.

And some more shots

Earlier on I finally got to see a Bee Wolf actually take out a Honey Bee.

And a first not only for the reserve but the reserve network! And one that I am county recorder for too. I beat a single Alloeotomus gothicus off Scots Pine. Pines on heaths can be a valuable resource, especially ones with low growing branches you can reach! I then got back to Woods Mill to find out about the first new vertebrate added to the reserves species list since I compiled it earlier this year. I wonder if you can guess what it was?!

3 Response to "You HAVE to see this video of the cutest spider EVER!"

C Says:

Absolutely love the video - such incredible detail. I too would have been smitten!

Tom Says:

Natrix helvetica?

Graeme Lyons Says:

It's not that I'm afraid Tom. Try something a bit chubbier than a snake.

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network