Wharf Borer

Posted by Graeme Lyons , Thursday 19 June 2014 19:04

I found another cracking beetle I've never even heard of today, this one even has an English name. The Wharf Borer Nacerdes melanura. I found it under a railway sleeper at Rye Harbour which was fortiutous, as we only had time to look under one! Sorry for the bad photo, it was in a hurry and so were we!

Now a beetle I was expecting to see today was Lixus scabricollis on Sea Beet as Chris had told me all about finding it a few weeks ago. It's a strange looking thing alright! Also today stumbled across the Nb ground bug Megalonotus sabulicola. I have just recorded my 500th new species of 2014!

3 Response to "Wharf Borer"

Amanda Peters Says:

Ha.. Was the train coming..
Second beetle is a little odd, thanks for sharing..
Amanda x

Dział Przyrody MŚO Says:

Very interesting blog with many fantastic pictures of insects. Well done! Congratulations to observe new species :-)
Greetings from Poland

Graeme Lyons Says:

Thanks for the comments. Alas I was with a contingent of conservationists running to a tight time table looking at the effects of grazing on shingle vegetation. Many of my posts involve exciting things I find whilst I'm doing something else!

Post a Comment

Nature Blog Network